Thursday, June 21, 2012

Trailers trailers all the trailers

It seems that there are quite a few awesome novel adaptations coming out this Christmas and during the New Year, and my goodness me am I excited. 
In honour of this, trailer posting/synopsis time, as well as adding "must buy these books" to my growing list of books.

I just saw the trailer for this today, and basically any ideas I had about being productive (putting on a load of washing, sewing another curtain, etc) have just gone out the window. I am now watching the trailer again, going through the cast list, and all that.
I wrote about this last year, and now the trailer's come out I'm doubly excited. The cast has changed somewhat from what I read on The Guardian, from memory, but who cares. Teddy Lupin/Luke Newbery is in this! The Potter fans got what they asked for. Maybe. I don't know. WHO CARES TEDDY LUPIN GETS SCREEN TIME.
Right, okay, definitely not the only reason I'm watching this. I'm watching this because the book was magnificent (which I already own, thanks to the challenge last year), and because Tom Stoppard wrote the screenplay. I don't know about you, but that is just instant joy to me. Joe Wright also makes me extremely happy, and I'm looking forward to another game of 'count how many symbolic hand shots he uses'. 
The general plot is, as follows, stolen from my previous post because I am a lazy sod.
The sensual, rebellious Anna renounces a respectable yet stifling marriage for an affair that offers passion even as it ensnares her for destruction. Her story contrasts with that of Levin, a young, self- doubting agnostic who takes a different path to fulfillment. 
For more about the plot summary, Sparknotes has it down. Or, you know, read the book. Even though it's daunting, it is well worth it.
The film is apparently out next January for the Australian folk (17th, to be precise).

I have not seen the musical, I have not read the book. Everything I know about this comes from the recently released trailer. 
But... wow. Wow does it look good.
I've sneakily read what it's about (I love me some spoilers) and I am currently buying the book.
The cast looks awesome (okay, Russell Crowe perhaps not but he could always surprise me) and I am just so excited.
Plot premise, as stolen from Wikipedia. (I could have put the entire plot summary, but that thing spans for miles).
Jean Valjean, a Frenchman imprisoned for stealing bread, has broken his parole and must flee from police Inspector Javert. The pursuit consumes both men's lives, and after two decades on the run, Valjean finds himself in the midst of the 1832 June Rebellion in Paris.
For a longer summary, Sparknotes again. Want to buy the book, as I am doing?
This copy also lives at Booktopia.
The film is set to be released on the 26th of December this year, for Australian audiences.

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald (adapted by Baz Lurhmann and Craig Pearce, directed by Baz Luhrmann)
I am a huge, huge fan of Baz Luhrmann. Even after the epically long 'epic' that was Australia, he does no wrong in my eyes. Why? He made Moulin Rouge. He made Romeo and Juliet. And he made Strictly Ballroom. For those three, I can forgive him Australia. I'm hoping for this film, he's going back to the more red curtain style that he did for his good films - they were the reason I became besotted with anything made by him, and partly why I'm so excited for this.
As I said a couple of days ago, I haven't read Gatsby, because I have a small fear I won't enjoy the movie. But you know what? I don't care any more. I'm buying the book and I'm reading it before the movie comes out, because I have at least a 6 month wait and that is too darn long.
Everyone probably is aware of the cast already, but for those who are unaware, Leonardo DiCaprio is Gatsby, and Carey Mulligan is Daisy, and Tobey Maguire is Nick, our illustrious narrator.
Plot summary, stolen from MovieWeb.com:
The Great Gatsby follows Fitzgerald-like, would-be writer Nick Carraway as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.
As before, a detailed summary lives at Sparknotes.
I adore this copy of the book, from Book Depository.
However, if you want a similar one from a local retailer, Booktopia's is here.
Australian audiences, you'll be able to see the film around the 10th of January next year.

I don't think I've ever been so excited for December and January.

No comments:

Post a Comment